Quakers first brought their message of primitive, powerful faith in Christ to North Carolina in 1672. In the 1690’s they governed the colony with Governor John Archdale; over half of the members of the legislature were Quakers.
In 1786, sturdy Quaker pioneers from South Carolina pushed into the Archdale-Trinity-southern High Point region and carved homes and farms out of the wilderness. By the 1820’s Bush Hill (now Archdale) had become a thriving Quaker farming community. These Friends worshipped at nearby Springfield which was founded in 1773.
As a matter of convenience, Quakers in Archdale began to forego the trip to Springfield and started a small congregation that met in Frazier’s Harness Shop and then in the local school. It was given official recognition in 1924 and on March 1, 1925 the first meetinghouse in Archdale opened its doors. Seventy-three members were transferred from Springfield. It has been the spiritual hub of the community ever since and today has grown to over 300 members. Archdale Friends Meeting has always been known for its warm and caring Christian hospitality.