Friends hold many beliefs in common with other Protestant denominations. As Protestants we emphasize the redeeming grace of God through Jesus Christ our Lord. We believe in the life everlasting. We believe in the inspiration of the holy scriptures, and we especially emphasize the continued guidance and inspiration of the Holy Spirit which gave us the scriptures. Our statements of faith are based upon the teachings of Jesus as we understand them, and upon the realities of our own spiritual experiences.
- WE BELIEVE that true religion involves an immediate, inward, personal encounter with God--that this, rather than ritual and ceremony, is what we must experience to obtain salvation.
- WE BELIEVE that each individual has worth, dignity, freedom and responsibility before God (John 1:9).
- WE BELIEVE that worship is a personal, positive act of seeking, rather than a performance that communion is an inner spiritual experience rather than an outward observance.
- WE BELIEVE that moral purity, integrity, honesty, simplicity and humility are essential to the Christian life.
- WE BELIEVE in Christian love and good will as a way of life which makes hatred and violence impossible.
- WE BELIEVE that Christ-like love and concern for suffering and unfortunate people must find expression in humanitarian service and social justice.
- WE BELIEVE in the continued revelation of the Holy Spirit of God, who grants us new openings, insights and revelations of spiritual truth.